- Heights (rise) and tread depths (run) of stairs to be uniform.
- Open risers should be avoided.
- Stair treads & landings should be finished with non-slip material.
- Stair treads, including nosings, should be illuminated with a minimum of 100 lux,
- If stair nosing is needed, it should not project to cause trip hazard
- Colour or material contrast to differentiate between the horizontal and vertical surfaces.
- Pattern surfaces should be avoided around stairs.
- Circular stairs should be avoided.
- Windows or doors should not open into landing areas by stairs
- Headroom of 2100mm
- On large stairs, intermediate landing areas with tactile warnings to be provided.
- Dual height handrails on both sides of exterior steps
- Handrails on continuous inside edge of stairs with a switchback
- Wide stairs need intermediate handrails