- Where running slope of path is greater than 4% then it is classed as a ramp
- Curved ramps are not advised.
- Ramps should be 950mm – 1100mm in width between handrails.
- ramps and landings to be evenly illuminated to minimum 100 lux.
Gradient of slopes
- Cross slope should be avoided.
- Running slopes in renovations may be allowed up to 8.3% (1:12).
Landing areas and ramp surfaces should be firm, stable and slip resistant.
Polished or unnecessarily slippy materials such as polished marble are not permitted for ramps
- Level landing areas should be provided at top and bottom of all ramps.
- On longer ramps, intermediate landing areas every 9 metres.
- Maximum slope of landing areas to be 1:50 (2%) in any direction.
- Windows or doors on landing areas should not impact movement.
- Landings may reduce to 1800mm x 1800mm in renovations.